Menopause Symptoms

Signs and Symptoms Of Perimenopause

The first signs of Menopause symptoms usually start in a woman's 40s. The stage is known as perimenopause and involves changes in the hormonal cycle - they usually begin two to eight years prior to menopause.

Everyone's perimenopause or menopause experience will be different. During the perimenopausal stage, hormonal fluctuations lead to menstrual irregularities, and some women also experience symptoms such as hot flashes, sleep disturbances, increased urinary tract problems, loss of libido, weight gain and skin dryness. Some women may experience more severe symptoms, but it is important to keep in mind that it is transitory. Perimenopause ends in "menopause" which simply means the end of menstruation - when you haven't had a period for 12 consecutive months.

Menopause or perimenopause symptoms are quite daunting and about 70% of woman experience symptoms. The good news is that the other approximate 30% of women have mild or no symptoms.

Not all symptoms can be blamed on menopause though and it's not cast in stone that every woman will have a miserable time during perimenopause leading up to menopause. Symptoms of menopause can vary and some women will sail through menopause, while others will have more discomfort and need to find relief.

Main Menopause Symptoms / Perimenopause Symptoms / Signs of menopause

  • Night sweats

  • Hot Flashes / Hot Flushes

  • Weight Gain

  • Hair Loss

  • Mood Swings

  • Sleep disturbance / difficulty sleeping / Insomnia

  • Migraines and headaches

  • Breast Tenderness

  • Vaginal Dryness

  • Urinary leakage

  • urinary urgency

  • Irregular periods

  • fatigue

  • worse PMS

  • Decreased libido / sexual drive

There are other factors involved besides declining hormone levels. Some so-called menopausal symptoms will be part of the aging process and made severly worse by stress and your life's situation - things like irritability, anxiety, declining libido, weight gain, ageing skin and greying hair.

Middle-aged men are not excluded but equally affected by these. A good example is empty-nest syndrome; society has got us to the stage where kids graduate from school and leave home around the same time as mom hits her late 40's. So while nature starts to shut down your fertility, your kids are leaving and you might feel a bit useless all of a sudden. It can also be a time of financial strain as you see your retirement years not far down the road, perhaps tuition fees for your kids are looming. Couple this stress with a few sleep deprived nights and some hot flashes and it's not going to be a pretty sight.

Natural Relief from Menopause Symptoms

There are a number of natural remedies that can provide relief from menopause symptoms.

Early Menopause Symptoms / Premature Menopause

Black Cohosh

Top Of Menopause Symptoms

Menopause Wellness Homepage